Re: [netcdfgroup] Using Fancy Compressors (zfp, etc) in netCDF

At EUMETSAT, we plan to use an external CharLS filter to compress our
disseminated L1C image data from the future  MTG/FCI instrument. We get a
significant amount of extra compression over the in-built netCDF methods that
allows us to maximise the data we send over the available bandwidth.

We originally had to use a modified version of NetCDF to allow access to the
external filters for writing the data (the decompression by end-users could
still be accomplished fairly simply by having the filter plugin available to
the HDF-5 libraries).  The latest versions of the NetCDF C library that support
use of external filters directly is a highly appreciated update from our
perspective.  Although  not all NetCDF implementations currently support the
use of external filters, hopefully this will evolve over time.

Regards

Tim Patterson

Dr. Tim Patterson
Instrument Functional Chain Team Data and Tools Co-ordinator
GEO Division

EUMETSAT
Eumetsat-Allee 1
64295 Darmstadt