Re: make install on beta 4

Warren Turkal <wt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The info pages appear to be installed into ${prefix}/share/netcdf instead of
> ${prefix}/share/info. Is there a way to change that?
>
> Thanks,
> wt
> --
> Warren Turkal, Research Associate III/Systems Administrator
> Colorado State University, Dept. of Atmospheric Science

Howdy Warren!

What a coincidence that your question should come on the very day that
I am trying to decide what would be best to do with netcdf
documentation! What should be installed on the machine and what
should be left only on the website?

For example, do you think netcdf should install it's docs in html,
info, ps, pdf, or all?

By default, should documentation be or not be installed? (Currently it
is not installed unless --enable-docs-install is used, but I think
that might be incorrect. Surely it would be better to install it by
default.)

Any comments would be most appreciated.

In answer to your question, you may use the --docdir=/some/place
option of configure to get netCDF to install documentation in
/some/place.

For example the following configure script works for me (on the CVS
tip, but should work with beta4 too):

./configure --enable-docs-install --prefix=`pwd`/install --docdir=/home/ed/tmp
&& make check install

This command installed everything else under `pwd`/install, but put
all the docs in /home/ed/tmp.

This is all part of the usual configure script option, so this should
work on almost any package which has a configure script, not just
netCDF.

Get a complete list of directories you can change with:
./configure --help

Here's (part of) the output:

   By default, `make install' will install all the files in
   `/usr/local/bin', `/usr/local/lib' etc.  You can specify
   an installation prefix other than `/usr/local' using `--prefix',
   for instance `--prefix=$HOME'.

   For better control, use the options below.

   Fine tuning of the installation directories:
     --bindir=DIR           user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
     --sbindir=DIR          system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
     --libexecdir=DIR       program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
     --sysconfdir=DIR       read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
     --sharedstatedir=DIR   modifiable architecture-independent data
[PREFIX/com]
     --localstatedir=DIR    modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
     --libdir=DIR           object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
     --includedir=DIR       C header files [PREFIX/include]
     --oldincludedir=DIR    C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
     --datarootdir=DIR      read-only arch.-independent data root [PREFIX/share]
     --datadir=DIR          read-only architecture-independent data
[DATAROOTDIR]
     --infodir=DIR          info documentation ][DATAROOTDIR/info]
     --localedir=DIR        locale-dependent data [DATAROOTDIR/locale]
     --mandir=DIR           man documentation [DATAROOTDIR/man]
     --docdir=DIR           documentation root [DATAROOTDIR/doc/netcdf]
     --htmldir=DIR          html documentation [DOCDIR]
     --dvidir=DIR           dvi documentation [DOCDIR]
     --pdfdir=DIR           pdf documentation [DOCDIR]
     --psdir=DIR            ps documentation [DOCDIR]

Please let me know if this doesn't help, or if you need more
information.

Keep on netCDFing!

Thanks,

Ed