Re: [netcdf-java] THREDDSMetadata in NetCDF files

Hi Martin,

In your original posting you mentioned a goal of creating better ISO support for netCDF in Geotoolkit. I'm assuming that the focus is on supporting local NetCDF files that geotoolkit reads and then maps to the ISO metadata classes, is that correct?

If this is the case, I don't think that using UnidatataDD2MI.xsl is a good initial reference point for your task as there are some implementation details that are creating some confusion. ncISO has two implementations, in the first it acts as a client to a THREDDS server and accesses data/metadata contained in NetCDF via the NetcdfDataset object (using OpenDAP) AND has access to THREDDS metadata. In the second implementation, it acts as a service embedded within THREDDS and again has access to the local file (or virtual dataset) and THREDDS metadata.

If my assumption is correct about your goal of providing better ISO support for local netCDF files in Geotoolkit, then I would rely mostly on the ACDD convention mapping located here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/formats/DataDiscoveryAttConvention.html

The xsl mapping could then be useful in terms of looking at any precedence issues, when for example, you have spatial and temporal extent information coming from the NetCDF axis that conflicts with information contained in the file attributes.

-Dave