Re: [netcdf-java] Java-NetCDF in Maven repository?

Hi Valerio,

Regarding dependencies, it would be really useful for me if
opendap.jar (which I think is a special version for nj4?) could be
mavenized.  I think (but am not sure) that this would be easy to do,
because it only depends upon commons-httpclient, unless I'm mistaken.

Regarding logging and jcl-over-slf4j, I'm not sure what's the best
decision.  Dependencies on logging packages are often a problem
because this is a cross-cutting concern that might affect many parts
of the system, and classpath clashes can occur if two different
dependencies depend upon different logging systems.

> The netcdf-java pom contains the list of the dependencies needed by the
> netcdf-java library and the dependency scopes should relate to the build of
> the library itself.

I might be wrong (I'm not a maven expert) but this isn't my
understanding of how the scopes work.  Sure, when you are building
netcdf-java from source using maven, you'll need a POM that includes
the compile-time dependencies correctly.  But when you're *using*
netcdf-java you're not compiling it, so you need a POM that marks
run-time dependencies.  The POM that you provide is for people who are
using netcdf-java, not compiling it.  Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Cheers, Jon

--
Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre