Re: [netcdf-java] Java-NetCDF in Maven repository?

Hi Jon,

1) Are all the dependencies marked?  For example, I was expecting to
see a dependency on opendap.jar.

Yes, not all possible dependencies are present in the POM at this time.

Following the dependancies described in this document for the CDM Unbundled Library we can say that:

- BUFR : We did not include bufr because we don't use it and it is not yet mavenized. - GRIB : this library is correctly listed in the pom and the jpeg2000 is a transitive dependency.
- OPeNDAP : same as BUFR.
- remote files over HTTP : commons-httpclient is inserted and the other dependencies are transitive. - THREDDS catalogs, NcML, BUFR, HDF-EOS, NEXRAD2, OPeNDAP : jdom is present.
- McIDAS AREA : same as BUFR.

If someone needs the libraries we don't directly include, we could give a write-enabled account of our repository to a developer that mavenizes the other libraries and consequently we will include them as well.

NOTE:
For a consisten usage of slf4j we are thinking of exclude the commons- logging from the commons-httpclient dependency and introduce the jcl- over-slf4j.
What do you think about it?

2) Could some of the dependencies be marked with a runtime scope?
From previous emails in this thread it seems that jdom is the only
dependency that's needed at compile time.

The netcdf-java pom contains the list of the dependencies needed by the netcdf-java library and the dependency scopes should relate to the build of the library itself. Following this principle we think that the libraries currently present in the POM are correctly scoped, because they are directly referenced in the netcdf-java sources.

Regards

Valerio

--
Valerio Angelini
Institute of Methodologies for Environmental Analysis