Re: questions about H5DSiterate_scales

Hi Ed

>> I also noticed that H5DSget_num_scales returns -1 (FAIL) in one case
>> when there is no scale attached. I'll take a look why we did that
>> this way, but probably we can return 0 for this case

>Well that would be better.

I changed the return value of H5DSget_num_scales for a case when there are no
scales attached from FAIL (-1) to 0
the code  is checked in our cvs repo

the lines of code that were returning -1 in your case are inside the
H5DSget_num_scales function

/* try to find the attribute "DIMENSION_LIST" on the >>data<< dataset */
 if ((has_dimlist = H5LT_find_attribute(did,DIMENSION_LIST))<0)
  return FAIL;

 /* it does not exist */
 if (has_dimlist == 0)
  return 0;

previously it returned FAIL here , the rationale was because it did not find
the DIMENSION_LIST attribute.
it is more correct to return 0, like you noticed, meaning that there was no
attempt to previously attach a dimension scale to this dataset

thanks for the suggestion

> > in a group (H5Gget_num_objs) and iterating with
>> H5Gget_objtype_by_idx

>What is a less original way of solving this problem?

that was just original for me because those functions are relatively new, and I
do not use them very much

Pedro

</Pedro Vicente Nunes>
hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu