Re: more questions about dimension scales - their size vs. the size

Yes, we made a deliberate design decision to not require dimension
scale datasets to be the same size as the dimension.

There are use cases where you might not want this, e.g., the
scale values are every 5th tick mark.

Also, it is not clear what the semantics should be if a dataset
is extended:  what should happen to an associated dimension scale
dataset?  What if it is shared by several datasets?

As to the interpretation: that is entirely up to the application.

In the case of NC4, you should define some constraints, perhaps
as conventions.  If necessary, you could put an additional
attribute on the scale dataset, to indicate that this should
be interpreted according to NC4 conventions.

--
Robert E. McGrath
Champaign, Illinois 61820

mcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxx