From: ldm-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ldm-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Stonie R. Cooper
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:38 PM
To: ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ldm-users] NWS official statement on the data outage of
2/13/2017

I generally keep my comments off of this list, but the official statement is
not accurate.  As you know, Gilbert, WRIP (NOAA Weather
Radio) was only partially up and that was WFO dependent - if an WFO fired up
their CRS, they could manually record hourly forecasts and observations.

Likewise, checking the tombstones via local forecast on weather.gov resulted
in "N/A" for most zip codes I tried during the outage.

 From an IT side, I would say this particular event should help illustrate
the foolhardy paradigm of "putting all your eggs in one basket."  HPC, NCEP,
EMC . . . all were hit with this outage.  NWWS, EMWIN, and SBN were all
down.  A primary and secondary router paradigm in the same physical location
may save lots of money, but is an incredible liability for data
distribution.

I have always advocated that a live secondary should be placed
geographically distant from the primary uplink and NCF . . . and KC has
legacy and national networking infrastructure already in place to make it a
likely candidate.  Or Boulder, at ESRL.

Not that my comments will merit any action, but if pointing out what seems
obvious to me gains traction, that would be great.  I would even start
filling out my TPS cover sheets for all my memos, and coming in on over the
weekend to work. ("Office Space" reference)

Stonie