[ldm-users] NWS official statement on the data outage of 2/13/2017

Here it is:

NWS Statement on Cause of Outage on Feb. 13
Feb. 14, 2017

The National Weather Service experienced a failure of its AWIPS Network Control
Facility communications network at 2:08 p.m. EST Feb 13.  The outage, lasting
two hours, 36 minutes, prevented us from fully distributing forecasts and
warnings. During the outage, the public was able to access forecasts, watches
and warnings by NOAA Weather Radio and the social media accounts of their local
forecast office.

Technicians quickly determined the cause of the problem was the simultaneous
failure of two core communications routers - primary and backup - for the
control facility due to a power problem. The routers were replaced and the
system was restored to full service. We are still investigating what caused the
power outage.

The AWIPS communications system is a very reliable configuration and this is
the first time both routers failed simultaneously.

We are implementing additional communication pathways to the backup Network
Control Facility to ensure that problems encountered in switching operations to
this backup facility will not recur.
---

Gilbert Sebenste
Staff Meteorologist

Environmental Health and Safety
Labs for Wellness 154 | DeKalb, Illinois 60115
815-753-5492
gilbert@xxxxxxx<mailto:gilbert@xxxxxxx>
http://weather.admin.niu.edu<http://weather.admin.niu.edu/>

Everyone. Home. Safely.