Re: [ldm-users] Turning off RPC

I've run LDM without portmapper/rpcbind given they are both ginormous
security risks. It delays the startup/shutdown and other admin functions
since LDM tries to RPC but fails, then it tries again, etc...until it
figures out it is never going to work and defaults to 388 and everything
works fine afterwards.

Personally, I'd rather see it assume 388 and fall back to
portmapper/rpcbind in the event of 388 failure, but that's just me :)

I ended up turning portmapper/rpcbind back on because I was getting
annoyed at the startup/shutdown delays. Now I just have 18 more things to
worry about because of it.

-Tyler