[idvusers] Maximum Heap Size

Hi all,

I am aware of how to increase the maximum heap space of the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) via the command line. What I'm unclear of is the upper limit of the maximum heap space allowed. I was hoping it would be simply limited to the amount of physical memory. Unfortunately this does not appear to be the case. Can anyone on this list conform this? From my experience, it appears that the application (IDV in this case) won't start when specifying anything greater than -Xmx1536m .

Is there a way around this?  (Caching?)

Specifically, I'm wanting to display relatively long animations of data displaying isosurfaces.

I have a machine that has 4 Gb of physical RAM (actually 8 Gb, but my OS only recognizes 4 Gb).

Many thanks!!

-kevin.

Kevin L. Manross           |  ** New Address **
CIMMS Research Associate   |     120 David L. Boren Bvd
NSSL : WRDD : SWAT         |     Rm 3923
<kevin.manross@xxxxxxxx>   |     405.325.6385
www.cimms.ou.edu/~kmanross |
"My opinions are my own and not representative of
CIMMS, NSSL, NOAA or any affiliates"