Re: Ram Usage

Hi Robert...

On 2/18/07, Robert Reed <polarlow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just a couple of questions regarding ram usage, and I guess cpu too.

I'll see if I can answer.

I`m running IDV on a fairly old windows XP desktop, with 850mhz cpu
and 512mb ram.

I know I`m pushing the limits with that setup, but I wanted to get a
feel for IDV, the scripting etc before shelling out the funds for an
upgrade.

Yes, you are running in a "limited" setup, so don't expect to be able to do much
with images, in particular.  And things will possibly run a bit slow.

One thing I did notice, even while IDV or the GUI was not doing
anything, the ram down in the bottom left was constantly climbing
eventually hitting the ceiling. Is there a memory leak of some kind or
is this just normal?

This is not normal.

You are looking at the far left of the 3 numbers?  What had  you done
up until then?  And what version of the IDV are you using?  And how
long does it take before hitting the ceiling?

Also, I could do with some recommendations about running IDV and
scripts via batch files on a windows server (like windows 2003). To be
comfortable without running the risk of IDV dying during a
batch/script process, what kind of ram and cpu specs should I need. I
don`t want to spend a fortune of dual core processors etc if it not
needed however!

I would say that memory is more of an issue that CPU for you.
Obviously, you need to get enough CPU -- but 2GHz should be enough.  I
would get at least 2GB of memory.....

Hope that helps.

tom

--