Re: Linux GUI unresponsive on IDV startup

Hi Don,

Don Murray wrote:

At the moment I don't know how to see or set the color depth. I'll try that next.

Okay, let me know what you find out.

I will have to put this on hold, "startx -- -depth 16" isn't working for me, X doesn't start up, I think the busy linux admins here would have to expand on a configuration file for this to work right. I get a big message, but I think the relevant lines are:

(EE) RADEON(0): No Display subsection in Screen section "Screen0" for depth/fbbpp 16/16
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

kernel 2.4.21-15.0.3.EL
Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon Update 2)
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]

but had trouble starting:

% IDV
Exception in thread "main" java.util.zip.ZipException: No such file or
directory
       at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
       at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
       at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)

This could be a problem in the IDV link file.  If you cd
to the IDV_1.1b3 directory and run:

./runIDV

does it work?

Yes this works on Enterprise Workstation.
I tried the 1.1b3 on RedHat 7.3, but received the same hanging behavior. I believe this must be a GL problem. If I log into the Enterprise RedHat system and then remotely open the IDV 1.0.1 or 1.1b3 session from the 7.3 system it does work.

Thanks,
Ken

--
= Geospatial Data Services Group =================
| CIRES, National Geophysical Data Center / NOAA  |