From: Rob Dale <rdale@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2017 5:02:30 PM
To: Tyle, Kevin R
Subject: Re: [gembud] GEMPAK Data Access Help

Kevin - I'm not sure I follow. What do the notes mean about getting GEMPAK data
from the EDEX server?

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/entry/unidata-gempak-7-3-1

On Feb 12, 2017, at 4:57 PM, Tyle, Kevin R
<ktyle@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ktyle@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi Victor,

GEMPAK and more specifically the (20-year old) N-AWIPS package (which includes
GEMPAK, NMAP2, NWX ...) only reads GEMPAK-formatted data files (surface and
RAOB, and gridded model output files) as well as satellite data in McIDAS AREA
or Noaaport GINI formats, and NEXRAD level 3 and 2.  NMAP2 cannot read in data
from an EDEX server.  You'd have to set up LDM to download the data files you
want, and also have LDM run GEMPAK decoders so NMAP2 and the various GEMPAK
programs (e.g. gdplot2, sfmap, snprof) can read the GEMPAK-decoded data files.
It's all a bit "old-school" but it still works ... :D

AWIPS2, which has a lot of the GEMPAK functionality inside of it, can/must read
from data served via EDEX.

Hope this helps ...

--Kevin

Kevin Tyle, Manager of Departmental Computing
Dept. of Atmospheric & Environmental Sciences
University at Albany
Earth Science 235, 1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12222
Email: ktyle@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ktyle@xxxxxxxxxx>
Phone: 518-442-4578
From: gembud-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:gembud-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>