Re: [gembud] GEMPAK going away in 3-5 years?

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Gerry Creager wrote:

While I really don't want to see Gempak go away, I'm ranching out a bit.
 I've been real impressed with IDV so far, although there are several
holes in it.  I've also been pretty well impressed with NCL after
spending this week with it almost exclusively.

On the other hand I have not been impressed with IDV. The conversion of the compiled version of vis5d to the JAVA based IDV has resulted in a huge performance hit. Regardless of the hardware or OS release the performance of IDV is really bad. As an example I have a run from WRF with dimensions of 90x90x41 vis5d will have a streamline field up before IDV has finished loading. There are some interesting features in IDV but ther performance hit isn't worth it.