From: Robert Mullenax [mailto:Robert.Mullenax@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 7:25 AM
To: Van Tress,Michael J - PGPW-5; gembud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [gembud] GEMPAK going away in 3-5 years?

Well, I am not starting rumors.  How could I start a rumor about
something I never heard of?

As I stated in my first post I read about AWIPS2 on the Unidata website,
and quoted the passage:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/newsletter/2008jan/index.html

Article written by Don Murray who just posted:

"At the recent Fall Users Committee meeting, two items were discussed
that brought the need for this capability to the forefront. First, many
Unidata sites have been archiving case studies in GEMPAK format. As new
member Bill Gallus from Iowa State stated, accessing these data in the
IDV would be a boon to IDV use in the community. There is the belief
that some scientists are not using IDV because of the lack of support
for the GEMPAK file format in which they store their data. The second
pressing issue is the impending transition of NAWIPS/GEMPAK to AWIPS2 in
the next 3-5 years. At this point, it is unknown how that will impact
Unidata's GEMPAK users, but the committee thought that having IDV
support GEMPAK data files would be a way for GEMPAK users to transition
to the IDV if they wanted."