From: gembud-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Van Tress,Michael J - PGPW-5
Sent: Fri 1/11/2008 9:17 AM
To: gembud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [gembud] GEMPAK going away in 3-5 years?

Would it be possible for UNIDATA to add an AWIPS2 group to their mailing
list to subscribe to?

This is the first I've heard about AWIPS2 being available to the public.
If this is just a rumor, that's fine.  However, a mailing list, or some
other forum, where information is free flowing can squelch the rumor if
it indeed is a rumor.

In my opinion, this has been an excellent discussion.  Having been in
the weather business for 18 years, I've seen the NWS transition from
AFOS to GEMPAK/NAWIPS to AWIPS.  Gempak has been around and steady for
most of that 18 years.  However, it's naive to think that GEMPAK will be
around forever, and this has been a wake up call to at least begin
thinking about an alternative system.  At the same time though, I'm not
going to believe that AWIPS2 is going to be available to the public
until I see it on a NOAA site.

Some AWIPS2 forum to keep the information free flowing can/will help
keep the rumors to a minimum.  So with that, would it be possible to set
up an AWIPS2 list?

Thanks!

-Mike-