Re: [galeon] [WCS-2.0.swg] CF-netCDF standards initiatives

Hi all,
These are really valuable discussions.  In my mind they are just as
important as the formal standards that result from that part of the process.
 In the various OGC working groups where I've been active , I think we all
have a much better understanding of the other subgroups needs and their
approaches to satisfying those needs.  I certainly count myself among those
who have received one heck of an education over the last few years.

In the current discussion though, one point I still don't grasp is what is
to be gained by NOT specifying CF-netCDF as A standard for binary encoding.
 Not THE standard necessarily, but one possible formal standard option.
It's as if people think that CF-netCDF is more likely to be replaced by a
newly minted standard if CF-netCDF is not declared a standard.   Those of us
who've been at this long enough to remember the declaration of the ISO OSI
transport layer in the late 70s realize that the non-standard TCP still has
a modest following in many communities.

In the case at hand, I'm really convinced that it's a good idea to build on
proven technologies while AT THE SAME TIME working on specifications
(e.g., SOS, WFS, WCS, SWE common, ...) that may be more comprehensive,  fill
gaps and address shortcomings of the existing approaches -- approaches that
have been shown to work, but may not be all things to all people.  As we
proceed, it's essential to keep this valuable dialog going so the individual
components have a chance of fitting together in some sort of coherent whole
in the end.

-- Ben