Re: [galeon] [WCS-2.0.swg] CF-netCDF standards initiatives

Hi John,

SWE Common has been around for about 3 years at OGC but was part of the
SensorML 1.0 specification
<http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=21273>  which made it
pretty much invisible.

Version 2.0 of SWE Common is in the works now and will be a separate
specification thus allowing it to be used in a standalone manner.

The scope of SWE Common (the long version is actually SWE Common Data Model so
you can see that it relates directly to Unidata CDM) is the description (in
XML) of datasets structure, semantics, units, etc... as well as encodings for
the data itself (in XML, ASCII and binary). Objects called "DataArray" which
dimensions can be robustly defined are used to model N-D coverages. As I said
earlier the binary encoding of the data itself can be made byte-to-byte
compatible with the data section of a NetCDF file.

The O&M (Observation and Measurements) specification v1.0 also makes use of SWE
Common to describe observation result streams.

You can find simple examples such as a weather data stream
<http://schemas.opengis.net/om/1.0.0/examples/weatherObservation.xml>  with the
O&M schemas online at http://schemas.opengis.net/om/1.0.0/examples.

However please be aware that not all O&M examples use SWE Common...

I can point you to more complex examples such as video streams, aircraft
imagery streams and satellite imagery if you want.

I would also recommend that somebody in your group join the SWE Common SWG at
OGC so we can join effort for the streaming format you're trying to define.

Regards,

Alexandre Robin

Spot Image, Web and E-Business

Tel: +33 (0)5 62 19 43 62

Fax: +33 (0)5 62 19 43 43

http://www.spotimage.com <http://www.spotimage.com/>

Before printing, think about the environment