From: Justin Cooke - NOAA Federal [mailto:justin.cooke@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 4:35 PM
To: Greg Thompson
Cc: Tyle, Kevin R; conduit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [conduit] Removal of 500 and 1000 hPa height anomaly fields from
GFS

Kevin, Greg,
Several months ago a user evaluating the parallel output from the GFS had the
same concerns as you about this parameter no longer being available. We reached
out to NCEP EMC's Mark Iredell and he gave this reasoning for the parameters
removal:

"the climatology that had been used to compute geopotential height anomalies
for the GFS was very old, representing a fairly short timeframe from forty
years ago or so and had some known biases. Your approach of using reanalysis
data is a far superior solution. Reanalysis climatology would not only have
known provenance, it is higher resolution in space and longer averaging in
time."
As you can tell, his recommendation is to use reanalysis data, just like you
mentioned Greg.
Sorry for the inconvenience the removal of this parameter is causing.
Justin Cooke
NCEP Central Operations

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Greg Thompson