Re: [conduit] Removal of 500 and 1000 hPa height anomaly fields from GFS

  • To: Greg Thompson <gthompsn@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [conduit] Removal of 500 and 1000 hPa height anomaly fields from GFS
  • From: Justin Cooke - NOAA Federal <justin.cooke@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 16:35:15 -0500
Kevin, Greg,

Several months ago a user evaluating the parallel output from the GFS had
the same concerns as you about this parameter no longer being available. We
reached out to NCEP EMC's Mark Iredell and he gave this reasoning for the
parameters removal:

"the climatology that had been used to compute geopotential height
anomalies for the GFS was very old, representing a fairly short timeframe
from forty years ago or so and had some known biases. Your approach of
using reanalysis data is a far superior solution. Reanalysis climatology
would not only have known provenance, it is higher resolution in space and
longer averaging in time."

As you can tell, his recommendation is to use reanalysis data, just like
you mentioned Greg.

Sorry for the inconvenience the removal of this parameter is causing.

Justin Cooke
NCEP Central Operations