Re: [cf-satellite] cf-satellite Digest, Vol 14, Issue 1

On 11/17/11 2:02 AM, Martin Raspaud wrote:

On 26/10/11 17:44, Tom Rink wrote:
Hi Martin, Peter
Hi Tom,

Sorry for the late answer, I had to do a little investing of my onw on
this subject...

- - Are the longitudes and latitudes values different from what a
"vertical perspective" with right parameters would provide ? If they do,
why ? If they don't, why not include a grid-mapping definition ?
We've defined a netcdf structure for the GOES-R ABI (Advanced Baseline
Imager).
For navigation, similar to SEVIRI, the ABI defines a fixed grid (FGF) of
equal angle
spaced view angles from an nominal stationary point in space.  The grid
can be represented
as a cross product of 2 one dimension arrays of the north-south, east-west
views angles in radians.  The VerticalPerspective CF definition won't
work here
because it's a type of Map Projection which defines the transform x,y
(kilometers
for instance)<->  (Lon,Lat).  Instead of two 1D arrays of view angles, a 2D
array of computed map projection plane values for the FGF views would
be required which defeats the purpose of defining the navigation
via a transform algorithm.  We didn't want rewrite metadata
interpretation and
visualization components in the software, so we defined a
"grid_mapping_type"
for the ABI FGF whose "projection_x,y_coordinate" could be radians
instead of km.
Effectively a projection (radians, raidians)<->  (lon,lat).  We did this
by extending,
actually some modification were required,  classes distributed in the
ncIdv.jar.
See attached netcdf header file.  Another nice advantage to the FGF is that
master lon/lat files don't change, and can be indexed directly if desired.

Hi Martin,

Sorry for the late reply:

The projection you describe here, based on viewing angles, is the one
defined as "geos" in proj.4, and comes actually from Eumetsat's
description for the meteosat satellites, see here:
http://remotesensing.org/geotiff/proj_list/geos.html
Maybe we could make a proposal to include this projection in the CF
conventions ? In the satellite world, this would make a lot of sense.

I think that's a great idea, since the FGF is based on the CGMS document
reference above.  I have no idea how to start such a proposal.