Re: [cf-satellite] cf-satellite Digest, Vol 14, Issue 1

On 24/10/11 11:55, Peter Miu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The EUMETSAT Data Centre Archive has developed a SEVIRI MSG15 data sets to
> support GSICS.
> GSICS (Global Space-based Inter-Calibration System) is a WMO and CGMS
> initiative to
> improving and harmonise the quality of observations from operational weather
> and
> environmental satellites of the Global Observing System (GOS).
>
> Examples of these SEVIRI MSG15 "GSICS" data sets can be found under the
> following EUMETSAT THREDDS server.
>
> http://gsics.eumetsat.int/thredds/catalog/msg2-seviri/catalog.html
>
> The data sets have been developed using Unidata guidelines for gridded data
> i.e. the data sets can be
> loaded into Unidata tools and they will be geo-located correctly.
>
> The organisation of these NetCDF files would be relevant for discussion here
> and we (EUMETSAT & the GSICS partners)
> are very interested in developing CF conventions applicable for GEO and LEO
> satellites.
>
> Examples of LEO NetCDF data sets can also be found on the above server.
>
> We have started preparing some guidelines for NetCDF, see:
>
> https://gsics.nesdis.noaa.gov/wiki/Development/NetcdfConvention
>
> For more information on GSICS, please take a look at:
>
> http://gsics.wmo.int/
>
> http://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/smcd/GCC/
>
> http://www.eumetsat.int/Home/Main/AboutEUMETSAT/InternationalRelations/CGMS/SP_1226312587804?l=en?l=en
>
> If you have any questions, please don't hesitate in contacting me.

Hi,

First, I have to say that I am by no means a nedcdf nor cf expert...

I also have to say that I am very happy that Eumetsat decided using
netcdf4, especially with cf conventions.

But here are some things that I was wondering looking at a Seviri file:

- - Why are southMostLine, eastMostPixel, northMostLine, westMostPixel,
and numberOfChannels dimensions and not attributes ?
- - How would you deal with the inclusion of the HRV channel ?
- - Are the longitudes and latitudes values different from what a
"vertical perspective" with right parameters would provide ? If they do,
why ? If they don't, why not include a grid-mapping definition ?
- - On the cf-satellite list, we have long been discussing "band"s. Did
you consider using those ?
- - Did you consider grouping channels in 3d arrays instead of having them
separated ?
- - Could you provide in the file calibration coefficients needed to
convert radiances to reflectances and brightness temperatures ?

Thanks a lot for making this data available !

Best regards,

Martin Raspaud
SMHI, Sweden
begin:vcard
fn:Martin Raspaud
n:Raspaud;Martin
org:SMHI
adr;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:;;Folkborgsv=C3=A4gen
1;Norrk=C3=B6ping;;60176;Sweden
email;internet:martin.raspaud@xxxxxxx
tel;work:+46 (0)11 495 8261
tel;cell:+46 (0)11 495 8261