Re: [cf-satellite] cf-satellite Digest, Vol 14, Issue 1

On 26/10/11 17:44, Tom Rink wrote:
> Hi Martin, Peter

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the late answer, I had to do a little investing of my onw on
this subject...

>> - - Are the longitudes and latitudes values different from what a
>> "vertical perspective" with right parameters would provide ? If they do,
>> why ? If they don't, why not include a grid-mapping definition ?
>
> We've defined a netcdf structure for the GOES-R ABI (Advanced Baseline
> Imager).
> For navigation, similar to SEVIRI, the ABI defines a fixed grid (FGF) of
> equal angle
> spaced view angles from an nominal stationary point in space.  The grid
> can be represented
> as a cross product of 2 one dimension arrays of the north-south, east-west
> views angles in radians.  The VerticalPerspective CF definition won't
> work here
> because it's a type of Map Projection which defines the transform x,y
> (kilometers
> for instance) <-> (Lon,Lat).  Instead of two 1D arrays of view angles, a 2D
> array of computed map projection plane values for the FGF views would
> be required which defeats the purpose of defining the navigation
> via a transform algorithm.  We didn't want rewrite metadata
> interpretation and
> visualization components in the software, so we defined a
> "grid_mapping_type"
> for the ABI FGF whose "projection_x,y_coordinate" could be radians
> instead of km.
> Effectively a projection (radians, raidians) <-> (lon,lat).  We did this
> by extending,
> actually some modification were required,  classes distributed in the
> ncIdv.jar.
> See attached netcdf header file.  Another nice advantage to the FGF is that
> master lon/lat files don't change, and can be indexed directly if desired.

The projection you describe here, based on viewing angles, is the one
defined as "geos" in proj.4, and comes actually from Eumetsat's
description for the meteosat satellites, see here:
http://remotesensing.org/geotiff/proj_list/geos.html
Maybe we could make a proposal to include this projection in the CF
conventions ? In the satellite world, this would make a lot of sense.

Best regards,
Martin
begin:vcard
fn:Martin Raspaud
n:Raspaud;Martin
org:SMHI
adr;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:;;Folkborgsv=C3=A4gen
1;Norrk=C3=B6ping;;60176;Sweden
email;internet:martin.raspaud@xxxxxxx
tel;work:+46 (0)11 495 8261
tel;cell:+46 (0)11 495 8261