Re: [cf-satellite] cf-satellite Digest, Vol 14, Issue 1

Morning Martin,

Sorry to hear that you were at the user conference but were not able to attend
the presentation I gave.
I've attached the presentation for information, and I welcome feedback on the
subject matter
from subscribers of this mailing list.

The southMostLine, eastMostPixel, northMostLine, westMostPixel global
attributes are defined
to inform users who are used to using these parameters of the subarea ordered.
This is particularly useful when users order a lot of data as it reminds them
of the contents of the data. Yes I agree that this is not essential but adding
meta-data like
this even though it may only be useful to some users adds value to the data.
Knowing the needs of your core users will help determine what type of meta-data
to specify
and your input is very useful.

I agree that implementing the HRV in 2 arrays is a good way to organise the
data.
This avoids a lot of cells being 'empty' which would be the case if the data
was stored in one array.
We will be revising the MSG15 NetCDF data set to include more data
stored in the native format so this will give us an opportunity to implement
the HRV channel
as well.

Regarding your lat lon comment, Unidata provides Standard Coordinate Transforms
Geo-locating data onto a earth projection, see below:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/reference/StandardCoordinateTransforms.html

This removes the need to store the lat and lon arrays in your data if you are
using Unidata
tools to visualise the data.  For users who don't use these tools, it would
require them to
map these transforms to lat and lon i.e. they need to do extra programming to
visualise
the data.  As I've mentioned before, usability of the data for all users is
very important
in our development.  So even though the lat and lon uses space in the NetCDF
file, it is
provided for usability reasons.

If you take a look at the presentation, we proposed the concept of tailoring
NetCDF data sets
to the user's needs.  Whether the lat and lon arrays, coordination transform or
any other
method of geo-locating the data is included in the NetCDF file or not can be
addressed here.
We just need to get enough users requesting the implementation of tailored
NetCDF files (hint :o).

Regarding the band discussion and taking Tom's reinforcing Email into account
(Thanks Tom ... might see you next year
in Boulder if you are there to discuss more CF conventions with you) I think I
understand what bands are now.
Creating a 3D array indexed by a band or channel with lat and lon is not a
problem.  For me, I think the
channel/band should be an coordinate variable so that it can be treated like
'level', "altitude" or "pressure level"
by the Unidata tools for visualisation.  I'm also in favour of the
standard_name="channel" rather than "band"
as this is clearer to me, of course this is only my input to this discussion.

I'm don't know who you have been talking to at EUMETSAT regarding bands but now
I know this is a user need,
I can address this in our Format Advisory Group.  Thanks for drawing my
attention to this.

In case anyone reading this thread have problems in understanding some of the
term we are using.
I've found the following tutorial to help understanding the basic NetCDF
concepts and I hope this is useful.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-tutorial.pdf

Regards,

Pete.