Re: [cf-satellite] cf-satellite Digest, Vol 14, Issue 1

On 24/10/11 15:35, Peter Miu wrote:
> Hi Martin,

Hi Pete,

> Thanks for the fast feedback.  Before I answer your questions, I would just
> like to let you know
> that the EUMETSAT Data Centre is currently planning the implementation NetCDF
> formats as the
> common delivery format for all orderable data sets from the Archive.
>
> A pilot has already been performed for the level 1B and 2 products from the
> Metop-A ASCAT instrument
> and these are available for user feedback under the following URL:
>
> http://gsics.eumetsat.int/thredds/ascat.html
>
> The ASCAT NetCDF products were also presented to users in this year's
> EUMETSAT user conference held in Oslo.
>
> The development of usable NetCDF formats is our top priority as we want to
> ensure that all users (novice and expert)
> can immediately use our data so it is very important that guidelines
> regarding best practises, filename conventions,
> CF-Conventions and standards are followed.  A Format Advisory Group has been
> set up at EUMETSAT to discuss these
> guidelines with a view to publishing them so that users are aware how our
> data is organised and also to
> propose updates to the CF-conventions for satellite data as work is needed
> here (hence the existence of this mailing list! :o)

I was at the EUMETSAT conference this year :)

> Here are the answers to your questions:
>
> - Why are southMostLine, eastMostPixel, northMostLine, westMostPixel, and
> numberOfChannels dimensions and not attributes ?
>
> Apart from the HRV channel, these values remain constant for all channels in
> the data sets so we can be specify
> them as global attributes.  If the channel arrays store different 'sub-area'
> then we would need these value to be stored
> as variable attributes for each channel array.  This is not the case for our
> NetCDF data set i.e. all channel arrays hold the
> same area for the same time.
>
> Note, the NetCDF file follows the Unidata recommendation for identifying the
> coordinates of the data in the channel arrays
> (Coordinate System Object Model - Current Encodings). Longitude and latitude
> arrays exist in the data set and
> their contents are used to geo-locating the pixel counts for each channel
> onto a projection.
>
> See: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/CDM/

Ok. I don't really understand the interest of having these
dimensions/attributes though, since I guess you will have to define
lon/lats anyway for each different resolution...

> - - How would you deal with the inclusion of the HRV channel ?
>
> We have not implemented the HRV channel in our NetCDF data sets as GSICS does
> not use this channel for calibration.
>
> To implement this channel in our NetCDF data sets, we would just need to add
> another longitude and latitude array
> specifying the location of each HRV pixel counts and a 2D array holding the
> HRV pixel counts.

Sounds good, but the HRV has 2 sub-areas: would you have a different
variable for each or would you group the in one big channel ? (We
implemented the latter, since the netcdf compression works well in this
case)

> - - Are the longitudes and latitudes values different from what a "vertical
> perspective" with right parameters would provide ? If they do, why ? If they
> don't, why not include a grid-mapping definition ?
>
> Not sure what you mean here, perhaps the following explain it:
>
> For the pixel count in ch1( y, x ), it is located at latitude lat( y, x ) and
> longitude lon( y, x ).
> By assigning the lat and lon as the coordinates system for any channel array,
> applications know how to geo-locate its contents.
>
>   float lat(y,x);
>   float lon(y,x);
>   int ch1(y,x);
>   ch1:coordinates="lat lon";
>
>   int ch2(y,x);
>   ch2:coordinates="lat lon";

My question was if the lon/lats differ from what one would get from
running proj.4 with parameters like
+proj=geos +lon0=0 +a=... etc.
If one would get the same lon/lat data, then I would recommend to record
also these parameters in a grid mapping variable. In this case, the
lon/lats arrays would even become optional.

> - - On the cf-satellite list, we have long been discussing "band"s. Did you
> consider using those ?
>
> Sorry, I don't know what bands are.

Well, this is a bit sad :(. We have been working quite a lot on this
list toward having band variables that would correctly describe
satellite channels (or bands). My colleagues and I have tried to drag
Eumetsat's attention to this list and the work done here on several
occasions. Tom Whittaker was also at the Eumetsat conference last year
in Cordoba to present CF conventions and the possibility to apply these
to satellite. But apparently that was not enough...

You can read more on the band variable and related questions here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/cf-satellite/2011/thread.html

> - - Did you consider grouping channels in 3d arrays instead of having them
> separated ?
>
> I'm not sure what value a 3D arrays would give to the data.  Applications
> like the Unidata can
> plot the arrays on top of each other if needed.
>
> As mentioned above, we want our data to be immediately usable by all users
> and by following guidelines,
> we add values to the data as the contents can be examined and plotted by
> existing free NetCDF applications
> without any further processing by the users.
>
> - - Could you provide in the file calibration coefficients needed to convert
> radiances to reflectances and brightness temperatures ?
>
> Yes we can add any variable attribute to the channel arrays to support the
> needs of our users.
> The power of NetCDF is as long as we don't remove or reorganise any
> attributes and/or arrays,
> existing users and applications will not 'break' by the change.  The only
> concern here is we need to
> ensure that a standard convention is followed for representing measurements
> that can be stored in different units
> (e.g. temperature can be stored as Celsius, Fahrenheit, Kelvin, ... ).  What
> unit is used should be
> based on the needs of the 'core' users and this unit with a standard name
> should be included in the CF-conventions.

That would be nice :) Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Martin
begin:vcard
fn:Martin Raspaud
n:Raspaud;Martin
org:SMHI
adr;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:;;Folkborgsv=C3=A4gen
1;Norrk=C3=B6ping;;60176;Sweden
email;internet:martin.raspaud@xxxxxxx
tel;work:+46 (0)11 495 8261
tel;cell:+46 (0)11 495 8261