Re: [cf-satellite] very rough draft of way to represent band

John,

I think part of what people are saying is that we don't always have a situation where wavenumber and/or wavelength is unique for every band. This is what has been leading us to the parametric driver coordinate. A further example of this is polarization, which doesn't fit in a nice numeric construct like I was describing in my little example. (I think polarization would likely work well using flags, but that's yet another twist that we don't need to tackle just now.) When Christopher Lynnes is referring to different band numbers, he means index numbers, not wavelengths or wavenumbers. It seems awkward to separate out one band into a different variable from the others because it is not differentiated by wavelength (for example). The problem is, there is a tremendous variety of differentiators for the bands. Some of them clearly should cause data to be separated into different variables (different resolutions, for example), but others "feel" like they shouldn't provoke variable splitting. The feeling could be wrong, (I feel a song coming on here... "if loving you is wrong, then I don't wanna be right!") and we may just need to learn how to think about this differently.

I think what this boils down to is that the "identification space" for the bands can often be multi-dimensional, but the filling of that space is sparse. We are looking for a solution that is somewhat akin to the CF compression by gathering convention.

Jim