Re: [cf-pointobsconvention] Draft 2

NOTE: The cf-pointobsconvention mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

I think 'requiring a Z' and 'requiring a Z with every point' are two different things. I don't think anyone meant to argue for the latter, or they'll correct me if I'm wrong.

To take an easy case first, for surface-based measurements like ship point observations, specifying 'surface' in one place for all Z coordinates (e.g., via an attribute) seems like a reasonable approach. Hurricane track (great example) may be a little more complex -- I don't know if the science would say that is a 'surface' value, or something less concrete. But it would be OK with me to allow the attribute to take on a value representing an abstraction, if that's necessary.

John