Re: [cf-pointobsconvention] Draft 2

NOTE: The cf-pointobsconvention mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

> - "profiler" in the atmospheric community is used
extensively for the
> name of an instrument that produces "profiles".  I would recommend
> changing your "profiler" to "profile" to remove this confusion.  A
> RAOB sounding is a profile, but people do not refer to the
instrument
> as a profiler necessarily.

ok. anyone with a better name is welcome to offer it. What is
"data that has an array of values along the vertical dimension"?

For oceanographic moorings we have "profile" data, such as what comes
from an Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler, and data that we call "string"
data such as what comes from a series of instruments (CTDs, Radiometers)
mounted on a vertical rope or wire beneath the buoy.

Profile data is usually stored on a regularly spaced Z-axis and string
data is stored on an irregular Z-axis as the depths are often like 1, 10,
20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 meters.

-Mike

--
Mike McCann
Software Engineer

  • Search the cf-pointobsconvention archives: