[netCDF #ZAI-518983]: question on the install instructions for netcdf-4 daily build

> Hi, I've a question on the installation instructions
> (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/builds/snapshot/ )
> for the netcdf-4 daily build.  It says that it requires the hdf5 1.8.3 snap2
> development snapshot.  However, when I downloaded this link from Unidata, it
> untars to a directory that says 1.8.2.
>
> The hdf5-1.8.3-snap2.tar.gz file that I find on the HDF5 ftp site is
> definitely a devel release for hdf5 1.8.4.
>
> Sooooooo....in my most sheepish tone of voice, I must ask
> whether "hdf5-1.8.3-snap2" as listed in the unidata instructions is really a
> devel release for hdf5 1.8.3  (I hope, in which case the released 1.8.3 will
> do just fine) or is it a devel release for 1.8.4 (please dear god let that
> NOT be the case :-)

Howdy John!

It is I who should be sheepish! That was a simple HTML error on my part.

FYI the HDF5 snapX releases come *after* the numbered release, so 1.8.3-snap2
was the second snapshot release after the 1.8.3 release (and on the way to the
1.8.4 release).

There was a bug in HDF5-1.8.3 relating to nested user-defined types. The bug
was found here at NetCDF World HQ, and forwarded on to the underground bunker
complex in which the HDF5 programmers work 24/7 answering our email. The fix
made it into the 1.8.3-snap2 and later releases of HDF5.

The HDF5 team is about to release 1.8.4 and I've upgraded our snapshot web page
to the 1.8.4-pre1 release of HDF5.

If we were all very good this year, the HDF5-1.8.4 release and the netCDF-4.1
release will be out in time for Christmas, and we can play with them on
Christmas morning! ;-)

Thanks,
Ed

Ticket ID: ZAI-518983