[netCDF #FRF-546153]: mac OS 10.6.1 build failure

> Hi Russ,
> Thanks for your message.
>
> I think you're right, the build was attempted in an unclean directory,
> although when I type "make distclean" I get the following response:
> make: *** No rule to make target `distclean'.  Stop.

Right, since the configure script generates the Makefiles and the configure
script didn't complete successfully, there are no Makefile to tell how to
make the "distclean" target. But it's weird that some old object files like
conftest.o would exist when the old Makefiles associated with them weren't
there.

> I tried the configuration with a fresh directory and got a different error,
> "could not compile...", see attached.

The associated errror message in config.log says:

  configure:23746: gfortran -c O3 conftest.f
  i686-apple-darwin8-gfortran-4.2: O3: No such file or directory
  configure:23749: $? = 1
  configure:23766: error: Could not compile conftest.f

which makes it look like just a typo, using "O3" for the compile flags
instead of "-O3".  So it may still work if you add the "-" option
prefix.

> I'll try the newer gfortran version, although that might cause problems when
> I compile ROMS -- not sure.

You may be entering new territory.  We haven't heard reports yet about
success with a Fortran application using the netCDF library on Snow
Leopard, so I'll be interested to know if you get it to work.

--Russ

Ticket ID: FRF-546153
Department: Support netCDF