[netCDF #FRF-546153]: mac OS 10.6.1 build failure

Hi Matt,

> I am attempting to build netCDF 3.6.3 on a Mac OS X v.10.6.1 using the
> gfortran compiler.
>
> I've followed the instructions for configuring my system found here:
> https://www.myroms.org/wiki/index.php/ROMS_Mac
>
> The netCDF configure step fails, the last echo line is:
> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"... configure: error: Could not
> link conftestf.o and conftest.o

The error in your config.log says

  configure:23876: gfortran -o conftest -O3  conftestf.o conftest.o
  ld: warning: in conftest.o, file is not of required architecture

which makes me think maybe you are trying to build in a directory where
a previous build ran for a different platform (e.g. a PPC Mac instead of
an Intel Mac) without first running "make distclean" from the top level
directory, or getting a freshly unpacked source distribution.

I just built netCDF-3 successfully on a 10.6.1 Mac laptop using the
gfortran-4.5.0 version available from hpc.sourceforge.net (download
and install from gfortran-snwleo-intel-bin.tar.gz), with just

  FC=/usr/local/bin/gfortran ./configure && make check

using either the netCDF-3.6.3 distribution or the current 4.1-beta2
snapshot (which builds netCDF-3 if no --with-hdf5=... or --enable-netcdf4
is specified to configure).

I'm not sure if there's also a problem with your older gfortran used
in Snow Leopard, but gfortran 4.5.0 seemed to work OK.

--Russ

Ticket ID: FRF-546153
Department: Support netCDF