[LibCF #QMO-280170]: libcf can't yet deliver geospatial coordinates from an ocean_s model, can it?

Hi Rich,

> Can libCF return the geospatial coordinates (z,t,lon,lat) associated
> with a hyperslab of data  from a structured grid 4D ocean model with
> curvilinear horizontal coordinates and stretched vertical coordinates?
>
> e.g.
> <http://coast-enviro.er.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/nph-dods/models/test/bora_feb.nc.html>
>
> I glanced at the documentation and saw some stuff for defining and
> inquiring, but not for reading.

No, sorry, that capability is in the plans for libcf, but it hasn't yet been
implemented.  Our libcf guru, Ed, will give a talk next week at the GO-ESSP
meeting on what libcf can do now and what is planned for the next year.

> We have an experiment coming up where the ocean glider pilots would
> like to fly their gliders through the latest ocean model forecasts to
> figure out how to get their vehicles from point A to point B in the
> presence of a complex ocean current field.    And although we have a
> nice solution for them using Matlab and the NetCDF-Java library, one
> of the glider groups uses C++, not Matlab or Java.

Implementing an F90 interface to libcf has been a higher priority lately, due
to requests from some modelers.  Handling curvilinear coordinates sounds like
something we could get some help implementing from OOI-CI, as they have
informally mentioned developing some useful capabilities we both need
rather than supplying resources directly ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: QMO-280170
Department: Support LibCF