[netCDF #NNT-822493]: Problem with Inquiring dimensions ids with netcdf

Hi Mondher,

> I am having some troubles running the following test program: It
> works fine for the 3.6.1 version of netcdf but it fails for 3.6.2
> and 4.0 (compiled without the option --enable-netcdf-4 so I guess
> it's 3.6.3..)  Anyway, I attached the program(test-debug.f90) and
> the netcdf file(simple.nc). I am compiling this with a PGI compiler
> (version 8.0.5) Could you please tell me if I am making a mistake or
> is it related to the version..

I tried to reproduce the problem by compiling and linking your
test-debug.f90 program against installed netCDF versions 3.6.1, 3.6.2,
3.6.3, 4.0 (without --enable-netcdf-4), and the current release 4.0.1.
But in every case I got the same output:

  $ ./test-debug-361
   VAR ID  1
   VAR  NUMBER OF DIM data 2
    DIM data 2 1
  $ ./test-debug-362
   VAR ID  1
   VAR  NUMBER OF DIM data 2
    DIM data 2 1
  $ ./test-debug-363
   VAR ID  1
   VAR  NUMBER OF DIM data 2
    DIM data 2 1
  $ ./test-debug-40
   VAR ID  1
   VAR  NUMBER OF DIM data 2
    DIM data 2 1
  $ ./test-debug-401
   VAR ID  1
   VAR  NUMBER OF DIM data 2
    DIM data 2 1

Did you run "make check" successfully on your 3.6.2 or 4.0
installation?

I was not using the PGI compiler, because I don't have version 8.0.5
to test with, but Portland Group has recommendations for building
netCDF with their compilers here:

  http://www.pgroup.com/resources/netcdf/netcdf362_pgi71.htm

In particular, note that they recommend setting

  CFLAGS="-O2 -Msignextend -V"
  CPPFLAGS="-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran"
  FFLAGS="-O2 -w -V"

before running the configure script.  If you rebuild netCDF with those
settings in the same directory, be sure to run "make distclean" first.

I hope this helps.

--Russ

Ticket ID: NNT-822493
Department: Support netCDF