[netCDF #ZXR-914718]: netcdf 4.0.1 with pgi on Linux - 4 errors in tests

Hi Matthias,

> I am compiling netcdf 4.0.1 on Linux with the Portland Group (pg)
> compilers. I have compiled zlib, szip and hdf5 with the pg-compilers
> builiding shared and static libraries without problems.
>
> Now I am compiling netcdf 4:
>
> % uname -a
> Linux compile.liclus.leipzig.ufz.de 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20
> 16:36:54 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> % export CC=pgcc
> % export CXX=pgCC
> % export FC=pgf90
> % ./configure --prefix=/home/cuntz/lib/netcdf4_pgi/ --enable-shared
> --enable-netcdf-4 --enable-cxx-4 \
>     --enable-extra-example-tests --enable-extra-tests
> --enable-large-file-tests \
>     --with-hdf5=/home/cuntz/lib/hdf5_pgi/ --with-zlib=/home/cuntz/lib/
> --with-szlib=/home/cuntz/lib/
> % make | tee make.log
> % make check | tee make_check.log
>
> I get:

> 4 of 46 tests failed
> Please report to address@hidden

Portland Group has published recommendations for compiling netCDF with
their compilers:

  http://www.pgroup.com/resources/netcdf/netcdf362_pgi71.htm

and in that recommendation, they have set

  CFLAGS="-O2 -Msignextend -V"

before running the configure script.  I'm not sure how necessary the -O2
and -V are (I think that just prints the version), but we have tested the
4.0.1 version using the CFLAGS above on a 64-bit Linux platform with all
PG compilers, and it worked.  The exact settings we used were:

  CPPFLAGS="-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran"
  CC=pgcc
  CFLAGS="-O2 -Msignextend -V"
  CXX=pgCC
  CXXFLAGS=-g
  FC=pgf90
  FCFLAGS=-g
  F77=pgf90
  FFLAGS="-O2 -w -V"

and the configure script was called as:

  ./configure --enable-netcdf-4 --with-hdf5=/upc/share/ed/local/shecky

before running

  make check install

The output from this working build is here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/builds/4_0_1/out_shecky_2009042811_20_1.txt

As a side note, the cxx4 API is very incomplete and untested. It is
experimental. If you want to use it, count on having to debug and
improve it yourself. We hope to get the cxx4 API ready for the 4.2
release.  I recommend you omit --enable-cxx-4 unless you really need
it and are prepared to do some work on it.  That's why it's currently
disabled by default.

I hope this helps.

--Russ

Ticket ID: ZXR-914718