[netCDF #QIT-797928]: Notes on netCDF installation

> Hi Ed.
>
> Thanks for your response!
>
> Looking at the new configure script, I realize I might have misled you a
> bit because I neglected to mention I was compiling version 3.6.1, whereas
> the version you've pointed me to is 3.6.2.  I note that the configure
> scripts are quite a bit different in a few areas.  One change I've
> discovered is that the new script doesn't check for FFLAGS='-mp
> -recursive', but it doesn't seem to need it anymore either, so that's ok.
> However, a test for CPPFLAGS='-DpgiFortran' no longer seems to be done,
> but it appears that this flag is still needed for the compilation to work.

If you already have set CPPFLAGS to something before configure is run, it
doesn't add to it. The automatic setting of -DpgiFortran will only occur if you
leave CPPFLAGS unset.

In the future we hope to remove this whole method of providing the fortran
interfaces, so that we can get something easier to maintain.

> The problem with 32-bit vs. 64-bit binaries still seems to be there.
> Some versions of ifort only produce 32-bit binaries, so if this is true,
> perhaps all that is needed is a test for 64-bit capability.  If it fails
> then 32-bit binaries are needed for everything and so set CXXFLAGS=-m32
> CFLAGS=-m32, or the equivalent flag for the correct compiler.

Sorry, you've lost me here.

How would netCDF configure know that -m32 is required?

> Anyway, I'm not sure how easy these things are to put into a configure
> script, but if you're willing, I'm not going to complain! :)
> Just letting you know in case somebody else comes to you with similar
> problems.

It's easy to put it there, but hard to figure out what to put there.

> Btw, the system type it's detecting is: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>
> And if I let it default to gfortran instead of ifort then everything works
> fine without any extra inputs to configure except --prefix
Yea for gfortran!

;=)

Thanks,

Ed