[#XJU-559475]: Re: Fwd: netcdf4 vs. netcdf3

Arlindo,

> As I mentioned to Ed, we have already prototyped writing NC-4/HDF-5 on the
> Altix and it performed quite well. The potential format instability prevents
> us from jumping into it for this coming reanalysis.

Just to make sure I understand the issue, by the "potential format instability"
are you referring to something other than the fact that netCDF-4 will be based
on HDF5 1.8, and the latter hasn't been released in final form yet?  Or has
there been some sort of warning about a possible change in HDF5 format after
the release of 1.8.0 that may mean loss of support for files written with the
1.8.0 release?  If the latter, I'd appreciate more information about this.
Thanks!

--Russ

Ticket ID: XJU-559475
Department: Support netCDF