[#XJU-559475]: Re: Fwd: netcdf4 vs. netcdf3

Arlindo,

 nc_supress_endianess_conversion ( ncid, varid );

is certainly a simple interface.  I assume you would also want this to suppress
conversion on input as well as on output, because users have reported
byte-swapping on reads is also a bottleneck on little-endian machines.

We have had a few requests for a similar feature in netCDF-3, and as you know,
something equivalent will be available in netCDF-4.  I'll consider this
enhancement for netCDF-3, but there are several other features ahead of it on
the TODO list, so I can't commit to adding it soon.  Performance has never been
a primary goal for netCDF, since it often conflicts with other desirable
software characteristics, but you've made a good case for how important this
can be in some cases.

It may not seem like much work to add just one little function to netCDF, but
we would also have to add test code, Fortran bindings, C++ bindings, netCDF-4
equivalents, reference documentation, and User Guide documentation.  And it has
to be supported in the OPeNDAP client libraries, so a user can just relink for
OPeNDAP support.  This creates quite an obstacle to adding new functions.

Maybe this would be a better addition for pnetcdf, whose primary goal is
performance on HPC platforms.  I'll have to think about it a bit ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: XJU-559475
Department: Support netCDF