[netCDF #MOS-338331]: NetCDF 3.6.2-beta4 failure with Gfortran on Linux

> Unidata netCDF Support wrote:
> > Mark Hadfield,
> >
> > Your Ticket has been received and a member of our staff will review it and
> > reply accordingly. Listed below are details of this Ticket. Please make
> > sure the Ticket ID remains in the subject at all times.
> >
> >     Ticket ID: MOS-338331
> >     Subject: NetCDF 3.6.2-beta4 failure with Gfortran on Linux
> >     Department: Support netCDF
> >
> Never mind. As I suspected, the problem seems to be related to an
> incompatibility of some sort between gcc (version 3.2.2 20030222,
> Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5) and gfortran (version 4.2.0 20060817
> experimental), the latter being a recent add-on. I found with a recent
> Gcc installation that includes gfortran (version 4.1.1 20060525, Red Hat
> 4.1.1-1). On this machine netCDF is built successfully with the
> following configuration:
>
> CC=/usr/bin/gcc FC=/usr/bin/gfortran FFLAGS=-ff2c FCFLAGS=-ff2c ./configure
>
> So, while I'm still mildly curious what caused the original problem, I'm
> not going to lose any more sleep over it.
>
> --
> Mark Hadfield          "Kei puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tahi tatou"
> address@hidden
> National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)

Howdy Mark!

Glad you got netCDF to compile for you.

It should work for gfortran without setting -ff2c anywhere.

However the 4.1.1 version of gfortran does require that I set -DpgiFortran. I
will have the configure handle this automatically in the next beta release of
3.6.2.

Thanks!

Keep on netCDFing!

Ed Hartnett