[netCDF #NON-857268]: NetCDF nf_test failure

Hi Gaby,

re:
> I'm trying to install the NetCDF libraries. I'm using the Intel Fortran
> version 9.1.036.
>
> The nf_test always fails with this output... the undefined reference
> list is too much longer...
>
> util.o(.text+0x2bfb):ccn9ixp3.f: undefined reference to `max_short_'
> util.o(.text+0x2c0f):ccn9ixp3.f: undefined reference to `max_int_'
> util.o(.text+0x2c23):ccn9ixp3.f: undefined reference to `max_float_'
> util.o(.text+0x2c37):ccn9ixp3.f: undefined reference to `max_double_'
> collect2: ld devolvi� el estado de salida 1
> make[2]: *** [nf_test] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/gaby/Desktop/net/netcdf-3.6.0-p1/src/nf_test'
> make[1]: *** [subdir_target] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gaby/Desktop/net/netcdf-3.6.0-p1/src'
> make: *** [nf_test/test] Error 2
>
> I Install the libraries anyway and everithing looks normal, but when I
> try to compile a program that writes NetCDF files I get a similar
> error, and It does not write the NetCDF files.
>
> Can you please help me. I'm new with all this so please be very explicit.

Your problem should go away if you set some enviornment variables following
the example in:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
  netCDF
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf
    Frequently Asked Questions about netCDF
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html
      Installation and Porting
      How do I build netCDF for use with Fortran compiler xxx and C compiler
yyy on platform zzz?
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#other-builds

      builds in other environments
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/other-builds.html

      Linux x86 with Intel ifort 8.1 fortran compile

The list of environment variables is found in the last link.

I just installed the Intel Fortran compiler (evaluation copy) v9.1.036 on my
home machine running Fedora Core 5 and was able to build the netCDF 3.6.0-p1
distribution AND run all tests with no problems.  Notably, I also had to modify
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to include the directory in which the
Intel Fortran libraries were installed and PATH to include the directory in
which
the Intel Fortran executables were installed.  This is what this looked like on
my
system (it may differ on yours depending on where the Intel Fortran compiler
was installed):

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/lib:/opt/intel/fc/9.1.036/lib
PATH=$PATH:/opt/intel/fc/9.1.036/bin

The set of environment variables that you will need to have defined before
running 'configure' are:

CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/lib:/opt/intel/fc/9.1.036/lib
PATH=$PATH:/opt/intel/fc/9.1.036/bin
F90=ifort
CFLAGS=-O2 -g
FC=ifort
CC=gcc
FFLAGS=-g -O2 -mp -auto

After defining these environment variables you need to create a fresh
netCDF installation.  Here is an example for a build of netcdf-3.6.0-p1:

cd netcdf-3.6.0-p1/src
make uninstall
make distclean
./configure