[netCDF #MOS-338331]: NetCDF 3.6.2-beta4 failure with Gfortran on Linux

> That works for me. Thanks.
>
> The -ff2c switch was causing me a certain amount of grief, because using
> it breaks OpenMP and also stops me from linking an application with both
> netCDF and another library that wasn't built with it. On the other hand,
> not using it means that the libraries are linker-incompatible with g77
> and g95. Still, I'm happy to make the break and be 100% -ff2c-free.
>
> It would be good to make it clear somewhere what is the recommended
> practice and its implications. (Perhaps this is made clear somewhere,
> but I missed it.) The following suggests using -ff2c:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/netcdfgroup-list/msg00737.html
>
> and in the following in Section 3.8.5 it says that "The f2cFortran flag
> is required with GNU fortran", which might be taken as a reference to
> Gfortran.
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Platform-Specific-Notes.html#Platform-Specific-Notes
>
> and here again there is a reference to gfortran and -Df2cFortran (though
> not -ff2c, I admit):
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/builds/3_6_1/bette_Linux_netcdf-3.6.1.txt

The challenge is that gfortran has recently been very fluid. However, hopefully
they have settled into a new way of doing things at last.

The 3.6.2 release will handle gfortran gracefully, and the documentation will
be updated to reflect it.

Thanks!

Ed Hartnett

Ticket ID: MOS-338331