Re: 20040910: Mac OS X 10.3.4, NetCDF 3.5.1

>To: Russ Rew <address@hidden>
>From: "Cara-Lyn Lappen" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20040910: Mac OS X 10.3.4, NetCDF 3.5.1

Cara-Lyn,

> is it possible to change the file ncfortran.h file, in the src/fortran
> directory.
>
> At the end of this file, they redefine the names to add a trailing
> underscore.  Couldnt I change these to be upper case as well?
>
> Surely there must be a way to have the netcdf libraries built with
> upper case names.
>
> Its complicated to change CAM because other packages like ncarg graphics
> and esmf dont have the same problem.

You could try that, but others have succeeded in linking with the
netCDF library on Mac OS X without needing to modify the source.

If you can't use "-YEXT_NAMES=LCS" for compiling CAM because then it
doesn't link with esmf and NCAR graphics, I'm not sure what to do.

Our netCDF Fortran interface expert, Steve Emmerson, is out until next
week, but I'll forward this to him in case he knows a better way to
handle this than modifying the netCDF source.

(By the way, in rereading the previous reply, I think I said the
 library was built with upper-case symbols when I should have said
 lower-case symbols, but you seem to have understood what was meant
 anyway.)

--Russ