Re: NetCDF for macosx

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Moore, Thomas L., Jr." <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20020305: NetCDF for macosx

Hi Dr. Moore,

> At Argonne National Lab, I've been developing a new interface for the netcdf
> library for MacOSX.  What I'm creating is what's called a framework, a form
> of "package" that can incorporate both code and UI elements in a folder
> callded a "package".  I wanted to contact you before submitting software
> abstracts for submittal of the code to the DOE to check if you had any
> objections and any information needed to comply with UCAR copyrights.
>

> The framework directly incorporates the source code for the netcdf C
> library.  According to the copyright, this is okay as long as it's is
> properly acknowledged.  Do you have any recommendations on the best way to
> do this when representing this to the DOE?  For example, should I put the
> authors of the code as co-authors of the framework?

This sounds great, and we have no objections to your making your
framework available.  The copyright actually only

  ... requests that the user credit UCAR/Unidata in any publications
  that result from the use of this software or in any product that
  includes this software ...

so there is no obligation to do this if it's inconvenient.  You should
be the author of the framework, because we wouldn't know how to answer
questions about it sent to us if we were listed as authors.  I think
all you need to do is include a copy of the original UCAR copyright
somewhere in your distribution or documentation, as it appears at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/copyright.html

to protect UCAR from liability.

> In addition to the above, I've developed my own objective-c interface for
> the library.   This interface, more or less, exists as a separate
> programming layer for accessing the C code.  This interface is still needs
> work but is quite useful.
>
> Also just FYI, I'm using this framework to develop a graphical netCDF editor
> for MacOSX , since that's a big whole in the mac environment.  This
> application is moving into testing phase.  However, I am also about to
> submit this app to the DOE.
>
> If you'd like more detail about the framework and application, please let me
> know.  However, I do want to make sure I'm complying with UCAR requirements
> before submittal to the DOE.  BTW, if I can manage it, I'm going to attempt
> to get both the framework and application out as either freeware or some
> form of open source.

On behalf of netCDF users, thanks for your efforts!  I would be
interested in both the framework and the editor application, when they
are available, to load onto my PowerBook G4.  I think yours will be
the first Objective-C interface for the library, and there may be
other users interested in that.

When it's ready, I'd be happy to add an entry describing your software
on our "Software for Manipulating or Displaying NetCDF Data" and
"What's New with NetCDF" web pages.

--Russ