Re: 20020207: Installing netCDF on Windows Platform

>To: address@hidden
>Subject: Re: 20020207: Installing netCDF on Windows Platform

Hi Guy,

> Thanks for your assistance thus far.  Absoft have managed to help me out
> a great deal.  I've had partial success in using the NetCDF Windows
> library with AbsoftProFORTRAN 7.0 for windows.  However I appear to be
> running into a problem with the following sub-routines/functions:
>
> NCVID
> NCCRE
> NCOPN
> NCVDEF
> NCDDEF and
> NCSFIL?
>
> These would appear to be different from the rest which are linking twith
> the NetCDF library well.  I notice that in the netcdf.inc file these
> subroutines are defined under a section coded as below:
>
> !ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
> cccccccc
> ! begin netcdf 2.4 backward compatibility:
> !
>
> !
> ! functions in the fortran interface
> !
>       integer nccre
>       integer ncopn
>       integer ncddef
>       integer ncdid
>       integer ncvdef
>       integer ncvid
>       integer nctlen
>       integer ncsfil
>

>       external nccre
>       external ncopn
>       external ncddef
>       external ncdid
>       external ncvdef
>       external ncvid
>       external nctlen
>       external ncsfil
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated as to why I cannot link
> to these functions/subroutines.  If calls to these functions/subroutines
> can be sorted out then your windows NetCDF libraries compile with the
> AbsoftProFORTRAN compiler!

The difference between these Fortran modules and all the others is
that these are Fortran functions returning an INTEGER associated with
the function name, whereas all the other Fortran modules are
subroutines that you CALL and that return any values through the
parameter list.  There are two other functions in the netCDF-3 Fortran
interface that return CHARACTER*80 instead of INTEGER: NF_STRERROR and
NF_INQ_LIBVERS.

I'm surprised NCVID and NCTLEN aren't in the problem list as well,
since they are also INTEGER-returning functions.  If those are
working, then just do whatever you did to get those working with the
other six functions.  If they aren't working or the tests don't test
their return values, you just need to figure out how to handle
functions that return INTEGER in the AbsoftProFORTRAN compiler and
you'll be done.

Good luck!  We'll be interested in getting any changes you needed to
make ...

--Russ