Re: 20011115: installing procedure of NETCDF

>To: address@hidden,
>To: address@hidden
>From: Boyin Huang <address@hidden>

Hi Boyin,

> Error appears when make: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
> Does this mean I did not have proper Linux files?
> I have run the linux for a long time

> The required information is as follows:
>
> (A) uname -a
> Linux synoptic2 2.4.1 #1 Mon Feb 12 07:35:47 EST 2001 i686 unknown
>
> (B) VERSION
> netcdf-3.5.0
>
> (C) pathname: information after "env" command:
> FC=/usr/bin/g77
> CC=/usr/bin/egcs
> CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran
> FFLAGS=-Wno-globals
> CXX=/usr/bin/g++

This all looks good, and your output from running the "configure"
script matches what we get on our Linux system.

> (F) make.log
> make[1]: Entering directory `/scratch/byh/NETCDF/netcdf-3.5.0/src'
>
> Making `all' in directory
> /disk7/bhuang/scratch/byh/NETCDF/netcdf-3.5.0/src/libsrc
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/scratch/byh/NETCDF/netcdf-3.5.0/src/libsrc'
> /usr/bin/egcs -c -O -I.  -Df2cFortran attr.c
> In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
>                  from netcdf.h:39,
>                  from nc.h:16,
>                  from attr.c:8:
> /usr/include/bits/errno.h:25: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [attr.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/scratch/byh/NETCDF/netcdf-3.5.0/src/libsrc'
> make[1]: *** [subdir_target] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/scratch/byh/NETCDF/netcdf-3.5.0/src'
> make: *** [libsrc/all] Error 2

On our Linux platform, we see no such error using the same compiler
and compile flags.  From a previous support reply to this question:

  The above indicates that the C compiler couldn't find the header-file
  "linux/errno.h" that its own header-file "/usr/include/errno.h"
  references.  This indicates a problem with the C installation (a C
  implementation must be able to find all the header files that it
  references).  I would show this problem to your system administrator,
  complain to the vendor (RedHat), and/or reinstall the C implementation.

Looking at /usr/include/errno.h on our Linux system, it #includes
<bits/errno.h>, which in turn #includes <linux/errno.h>, and we have
the file "/usr/include/linux/errno.h":

  -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          908 Apr  8  2001
/usr/include/linux/errno.h

It appears that this file is missing from your installation, so any C
program that tries to #include <errno.h> will get this error.  If you
find this file has been installed in some other nonstandard place, you
might be able to get things to compile by defining
CPPFLAGS='-I/some/wierd/include/place' before rerunning the configure
script, but I think it would be better to fix the installation of the
include files ...

--Russ