Re: 20011114: building and installiation problem for sgi(Irix 6.4)

>To: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden (BULENT YAGCI)
>Subject: building and installiation problem for sgi(Irix 6.4) machine

Bülent,

> > Can you please try to compile
> > the following small standard C source?  If your C compiler cannot
> > compile this, you need to reinstall or reconfigure your C compiler
> > environment:
> >
> > ==== snip & compile ====
> > #include <sys/types.h>
> > #include <stddef.h>
> >
> > int
> > main()
> > {
> >   size_t p[10];
> >   ptrdiff_t d = &p[9] - &p[0];
> >   return 0;
> > }
> > =====
>
> I managed to compile this code. No problem...
>
> > If that compiles OK, please check if there was a "config.cache" file
> > left over from a previous build attempt and delete it.  Then run "make
> > clean" and try running "configure" again.  You might also try setting
> > the environment variable CC=c89 instead of CC=cc.  If you still have
> > the problem, send us the "config.log" file and the "libsrc/ncconfig.h"
> > file that were generated by running the "configure" script.
>
> But conf?gure script isn't runing still.Now, I'm sending to you "conf?g.log"
> and
> "ncconfig.h" files with attch.

Oops, the ncconfig.h looks like an old one from a previous run of
configure.  I should have told you to run "make distclean" after
deleting "config.cache".  Could you also please send us the values of
the environment variables CC, CPPFLAGS, and CFLAGS (if any) that you
set before you run the "configure" script?  It is important that the C
compiler that you use for building netCDF is the same one you can use
to successfully compile the small sample program above.

In our INSTALL document for IRIX, we recommend using c89, by setting
the environment variables

    CC=/bin/c89
    FC=/bin/f90  # builds both f77 and f90 interfaces
    CXX=/bin/CC

before running the configure script.  See

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html#irix

for other examples that worked on our IRIX systems.  If it still
doesn't work, then follow the instructions under "Reporting Problems"
at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

which tells you what is needed after running "make distclean".
Thanks.

--Russ