Re: 20011114: building and installiation problem for sgi(Irix 6.4)

>To: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden (BULENT YAGCI)
>Subject: building and installiation problem for sgi(Irix 6.4) machine

Hi Bülent,

> I am working Turkish Met. Office. I have tryed to install netcdf
> latest version for along time on my system (sgi onyx2 workstation
> and irix 6.4). But I couldn't install yet successfully.

There is a problem with your C compiler environment, as indicated by
the "configure" output:

> checking for sys/types.h... yes
> checking for strerror... yes
> checking for working ftruncate()... yes
> checking for working alloca.h... yes
> checking for alloca... yes
> checking for st_blksize in struct stat... yes
> checking for IEEE floating point format... yes
> checking for ANSI C header files... no
> checking for size_t... no
> checking for off_t... yes
> checking for ssize_t... no
> checking for ptrdiff_t... no

The above says that the compiler cannot find the definition for the
"size_t", "ssize_t", or "ptrdiff_t" type definitions, which should be
available to any standard C compiler.  Can you please try to compile
the following small standard C source?  If your C compiler cannot
compile this, you need to reinstall or reconfigure your C compiler
environment:

==== snip & compile ====
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <stddef.h>

int
main()
{
  size_t p[10];
  ptrdiff_t d = &p[9] - &p[0];
  return 0;
}
=====

If that compiles OK, please check if there was a "config.cache" file
left over from a previous build attempt and delete it.  Then run "make
clean" and try running "configure" again.  You might also try setting
the environment variable CC=c89 instead of CC=cc.  If you still have
the problem, send us the "config.log" file and the "libsrc/ncconfig.h"
file that were generated by running the "configure" script.

--Russ