Re: 19990107: Requesting AIA format interface library

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:59:41 -0700
From:    Russ Rew <address@hidden>
To:      "adstar" <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: 19990107: Requesting AIA format interface library

>To: <address@hidden>
>From: "adstar" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Requesting AIA format interface library

Adstar,

> I tried ncgen.exe, using .cdl file.
> I got the writing code for "C" Interface
> But, I couldn't get the reading code for it.
> I want to know how to generate the reading code.

The ncgen program only generates code for writing netCDF files.  I
don't know of any other program for generating a C or C++ program that
reads netCDF data.  However, a user has contributed a program to
generate a Fortran program to read a netCDF file. It opens a specified
netCDF file and generates the necessary Fortran code to declare the
corresponding Fortran dimensions and variables and read all the data
into the Fortran variables.  It is available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/gennet.f

and is supported by its author, Barry Schwartz.

We may someday modify ncgen to generate a reader, but we currently do
not have the resources for such a modification.

> I wonder whether utility for automatic C++ class generation is or not.

No, unfortunately ncgen currently only generates Fortran or C
programs.  Someday we may develop a version that generates C++ and
Java classes, but currently our resources are mostly consumed by
porting and testing on new platforms and developing the netCDF Java
interface.

- --Russ

------- End of Forwarded Message