Re: 19990118: NetCDF for Mass spectrometer

>To: NetCDF <address@hidden>
>From: "Mr Partha Pratim Datta." <address@hidden>
>Subject: Query ?

Hi,

>       We are students working in the field of Mass Spectrometry
> at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India. We are currently
> develouping a Mass-spec for R&D purposes at our lab. We came to
> know that NetCDF (Andi)is the standard format used for storage of data
> for mass-spec and related stuff. We would like to configure out system
> such that it is compatible to standard instruments that may be
> used for analysing the mass spectrum in the near future.
>
>       Can you please let us know the format for NetCDF in
> mass spec domain (in case it is public domain) ? Or, let us know
> sites which could help us out in this matter.

The only information I have found on mass spectrometry standards are these
archived postings:

  http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/chemime/0162.html

and

http://x6.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=396474751&CONTEXT=916767459.844562536&hitnum=0

neither of which contains information about the current state of any
netCDF-based standard for mass spectrometry.  From this lack of
available information, I can only guess that the development of such a
standard is no longer supported and the activity to create this
standard has ceased.  If you find out more about this, please let me
know.

I did find information on the Andi standards for chromatography (see
the article <a
      href="http://pubs.acs.org/hotartcl/tcaw/98/may/stan.html";>
     "Standards for Chromatography Data Systems: ASTM adopts protocols
      for analytical data interchange (Andi)"</a> from May 1998 issue
      of the American Chemical Society publication <i>Today's Chemist at
      Work</i>  The resulting standard specification and guide may be
      downloaded from <a href="http://www.astm.org/";>ASTM</a>:
      <a

href="http://www.astm.org/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/DATABASE.CART/PAGES/E1947.htm?L+mystore+rpwd2606";>
      E1947-98 Standard Specification for Analytical Data Interchange
      Protocol for Chromatographic Data</a> and
      <a

href="http://www.astm.org/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/DATABASE.CART/PAGES/E1948.htm?L+mystore+rpwd2606";>
      E1948-98 Standard Guide for Analytical Data Interchange Protocol for
      Chromatographic Data</a>).

in case that is of any help.

--Russ