Re: 19990114: netcdf-3.4 problem using g77

John,

In the above message, you wrote:

> The make test fails for nf_test, looks like it's a double underscore
> naming problem.
>
> - ------
> which gcc
> /usr/local/bin/gcc
> which g77
> /usr/local/bin/g77
> which g++
> /usr/local/bin/g++
> - ------
> SunOS wrang 5.5.1 Generic_103640-08 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-10

We haven't tried this particular combination (SunOS 5 & g77) but we
have tried using g77 on a Linux system.  As you can see from the
Linux example in the INSTALL file, it is necessary to have the option
"-Df2cFortran" in the CPPFLAGS environment variable.  I note from the
output of your "make", e.g.

    gcc -c -O -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG fort-attio.c

that this option is missing.

Please try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Execute the command "make distclean".

    3.  Set your environment variables as before.

    4.  Ensure that the environment variable CPPFLAGS contains the
        string "-Df2cFortran".

    5.  Execute the configure script.  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "configure.log".  If an error message
        occurs in the output, then stop and send me the files
        "configure.log" and "config.log".  Otherwise,

    6.  Execute the command "make".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the files "make.log".  If an error occurs,
        then stop and send me the files "make.log" and "configure.log".
        Otherwise,

    7.  Execute the command "make test".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the files "test.log".  If an error occurs,
        then stop and send me the files "test.log" and "make.log".
        Otherwise,

    8.  Execute the command "make install".  Redirect standard output
        and standard error to the files "install.log".  If an error
        occurs, then stop and send me the files "install.log" and
        "make.log".  Otherwise,

    9.  Execute the command "make clean" unless you're going to install
        the package on a different system, in which case execute the
        command "make distclean".

Please let me know if this helps.

--------